Here are some of the most viral social media real estate content in 2016 as reported by Buzzsumo.
“Tiny House Villages Are About to Be the Next Big Housing Trend” – This was posted on October 6th by Jessica Mattern and was shared a total of 170.5K times on all Social Media Platforms.
- Tiny homes are under 1,000 square feet
- Kansas State researchers think Tiny Homes are a growing trend.
- In 2015 only 1% wanted to live in a tiny home.
Are tiny homes coming to Montgomery, Chester, Bucks and Delaware Counties? Next time you see a new development don’t be surprised if it’s tiny homes.
“Man Removes Ugly Popcorn Ceiling in Just Seconds…With Zero Mess” posted by Lighter Side on January 25 and was shared a total of 136K times on all Social Media Platforms.
- There is truly a machine that removes a popcorn ceiling in seconds and it’s called Porter Cable 7800 Dust Free Sander.
- You’ll find a video in this article showing you just how easy it is.
“Everyone on Pinterest is Obsessed with Barndominiums” posted by countryliving.com on February 2. Total Social Media shares – 92.9K.
- Just like Tiny Houses this is another new trend of unique homes. Bardominium is a metal barn converted into living space.
- Pinterest reported Barndominiums is on the list of top searches for men.
“Here’s How Much Money You Need To Make To Buy A Home in 27 Cities” posted by huffington post on August 23 – Total Social Media shares 85.1k
- Here you’ll find out how much money you need to buy a home in the top 27 cities in the country including Philadelphia.
- The salary needed in Philadelphia is $53,107.
“6 Reasons Your Agent Wants You Pre-Approved Before Showing You Homes” posted by lightersideofrealestate.com on January 26. Total Social Media Shares is 71.1K.
Here are just a few of the reasons mentioned:
- You’ll know how much you can afford
- It adds clout to your offer
- Without it most agents won’t work with you
“ReGen Villages is building off-grid, self-sufficient neighborhoods” posted by businessinsider on September 28. Total Social Media Shares – 70.9K.
- ReGen Villages is a startup real estate development company aiming to build small, self-sustaining residential communities around the world – starting in Almer, Netherlands.
- Regenerative means systems where the output of one sytem can autually be the input of another. For example, household food waste is composted and fed to flies, which in turn feeds fish, which then fertilizes gardens etc.
- Founder James Ehrlich says a village could produce enough fresh food to take care of 50-100% of the needs of it’s residents.
“These cities have the highest rents in the country” posted by cnn.com on April 1. Total Social Media shares – 46.6K.
- No surprise here – San Francisco tops the list. You really won’t find many surprises on this list. Miami is #10. So what cities do you think fall between #2 thru #9?
“Realtor’s Parody of Adele’s ‘Hello’ is Going Viral and It’s Easy to See Why” posted by Lighter Side on January 24 – Total Social Media shares – 43.1K.
- Very clever and entertaining marketing by a realtor in Iowa.
“The Top 5 Reasons You Should Not For Sale By Owner” posted by KCM Crew on November 9. Total Social Media shares – 38.4K. Here are few mentioned:
- There are too many people to negotiate with
- More exposure to prospective buyers
- 33% of buyers use a real estate agent
- FSBOing has become more difficult – the paperwork involved has increased significantly.
“The 3 Types of Lighting Every Room Needs” posted by elledecor.com on January 22. Total Social Medial Shares – 32.1K.
- Three types of lighting are highlighted here:
- Ambient Lighting – chandeliers, recessed lighting and sconces.
- Task Lighting – pendant and under cabinet for the kitchen, table and floor lamps in living areas.
- Accent Lighting – to showcase specific objects like art etc.
“6 Reasons You Should Never Buy or Sell a Home Without an Agent” posted by realtor.com on February 4 – Total Social Media shares 30.3K.. Most important:
- They have loads of expertise.
“If you think hiring a professional is expensive, wait until you hire an amateur” Red Adair
“Renting Vs. Owning A Home” posted by theonion.com on January 27. Total Social Media shares – 28K.
- This article provides a side-by-side comparisons of renting versus buying a home.
“10 Exceptionally Stylish Ways to Add More Storage to Your Kitchen” posted by housebeautiful.com on January 27. Total Social Media shares – 27K.
- Hide items behind one-of-a-kind doors
- Top off row of open shelves with crown molding
- Extend cabinets so that they touch the ceiling
- Use peg dividers to organize plates in a drawer
“Wells Fargo launches 3% down payment mortgage” posted by cnbc.com on May 26. Total Social Media shares – 21.2K.
- New low down payment loan called “yourFirstMortgage”. Check with a lender for more info.
“14 Popular Paint Colors for Small Rooms – Life at Home – Trulia Blog” posted by Trulia February 16. Total Social Media Shares – 20.7K
- PPG Paints Swirling Smoke is a great all-around color.
- Paint ceiling white and use lighter colors to make a room appear larger.
- Benjamin Moore Hale Navy is a favorite to make a space feel bright.
Be sure to check out the whole article for more insight to paint colors.
“8 Things Realtors Do to Earn Their Keep” posted on realtor.com on January 5 – Total Social Media share – 19.7K. In an effort to keep things simple I’ll just name a few:
- They spend their own money on marketing
- They stick around for inspections
- They keep calm when the pressure’s on.
As you may have guessed this list could go on and on but I thought I’d stop at around the 20K social media share mark. Please take a few moments to take a look at each of these articles in detail. As reflected in the number of shares, all of these articles are very informative and entertaining.
I hope you enjoyed this article as much as I did – reading and writing about each one.
Rick Sheppard – RE/MAX Achievers, Inc.